Tokidoki Barbie 2015: Purple Doll Hunt


I was not one of the lucky few that was able to purchase a Purple/Platinum version of the 10th Anniversary Tokidoki Barbie.  I missed out on her not once, but twice.

At the Barbie Collection site, I wasn't fast enough for the treasure hunt. It definitely hurt my chances.  A week later, she went on sale at the Toys R Us website. I had the page up for days, refreshing and checking. Even signed up for an email notification that never came. Sadly, I wasn't available when she went live around 3-4PM est. 
There's still some faint hope though. A few of them might be floating around retail stores, randomly placed in shipments of the "Pink" dolls. It's a long shot though. 
Another option is eBay, where the doll is currently selling for between $1000-$1300. (Let me go shake down my money tree...)

This is the first platinum doll I tried for and didn't get. I really loved this doll and wanted her for that reason only. Not the edition size. It has been very disappointing. I'm not the only one, by far, the BFC forum was exploding with posts for days afterwards. Platinum sales are always divisive and emotions run high. When there are only 999 of a doll, it's going to be tough. 

I'm not really sure if platinum dolls help or hurt Mattel's bottom line. The frenzie may have increased sales of the Pink doll, which is black label. Most sites have been selling out. At $75, it's high priced compared to other black label dolls. Is the pink tokidoki doll a consolation prize or a way of trying to let everyone enjoy a little piece of tokidoki Barbie? 
I'm going to look at the glass as half-full and consider myself fortunate to own the lovely pink version. That purple doll is going on my grail list though... 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barbie 2016: The Year of Articulation

Now Available: 2016 Spring Barbie Style Dolls

Doll #2: Fallen Angel Stardoll by Barbie