Making New Additions: Dolls, Dolls, Dolls!

Once you start doll collecting, there are so many options available that it can become overwhelming. It's hard to resist new additions. There are so many beautiful dolls--of all brands, price ranges and styles. Even if you just stick with Barbies, there are many, many to choose from. Trying to buy them all is a massive undertaking--and hard on your wallet! Many collectors will tell you that the main beginner mistake is buying too much, too soon--before you have established a focus for your collection. At first it might not seem like you need one or aren't sure what it should be. However, it really is a good idea and worth taking the time to think about.

I partially made this mistake by starting off in two directions: buying Barbie Basics Dolls and Asian Barbies. I loved how fashionable the basics line was so I bought several more dolls from the line. They were on-sale and readily available at local stores, which made them seem like a good choice. Then, I added more clothing & accessories from eBay. At the same time, I started researching old (modern) and new asian barbies. There were so many I was interested in. Yet I still hadn't figured out the face molds or whether I was going to stick with collector or playline or both.

In a number of months, I had 12+ dolls: Barbie Basics 001 #5 & #9, Basics 002 #2, #4 & #5, Basics Red 002 #1 & #2, Basics 003 #5, Fallen Angel Stardoll #1, Amazing Nails Lea, Generation Girl Mari: Dance Party & Fashion Fever Lea Modern Trends. I also had a smattering of clothing & accessories  mostly from the Basics line. (Lots of jeans, LBD's, tanks & tees.) That made for 7 different face mold types, Black Label Collector and playline dolls.  There was a bit of a theme though:

   I wasn't so sure about the Lara, Diva & Mackie face sculpts once I'd looked at them a while. The lea face mold was obviously winning me over. I decided it was time to make things a little less disjointed. I kept the outfits but sold the Lara, Diva & Mackie face mold dolls. The Mackie was a hard choice because I do like them. However they are very typical of the barbie look and I like something a little different. I decided to stick with Lea/Kayla face mold, playline or collector, and other very similar face types. (like Mari or Fallen Angel) I didn't know it yet but Basics #4, who I loved too much to ever part with, was a goddess mold--close enough to Lea/Kayla to count, in my opinion. ;-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Barbie 2016: The Year of Articulation

Now Available: 2016 Spring Barbie Style Dolls

Doll #2: Fallen Angel Stardoll by Barbie